I found this project conceptually challenging. First, it was hard to figure out exactly what i wanted to map. Second, after having an idea for a map, it was a challenge to figure out how to best go about making the map. The idea of a visual representation of a pattern in a book is some what vague, and left me second guessing my map, time and time again. However, after creating something, and going with it, I thought my paper came together fairly easy, and I believe I again was able to balance writing for the internet, as well as create an argument that was circular. Ultimately, I am very pleased with my project. I hope you enjoy.
(Image Credits: The Indiana University Auditorium by Flickr user Joey Lax-Salinas, Dream by Flickr user rarael oela, Studying by Flickr user Steven S., Anti-Chen Protest Day 32 – Million Men March by Flickr Paul Chang, Vietnam War by Flickr user Expert Infantry, Martin Luther Kind Jr. 1964 (source: Library of Congress) by Flickr user Mike Licht, Steve Jobs – A rebel with a super cause by Flickr user Fatima, Gandhi by Flickr user Elvis Don, and Oprah Winfrey addresses guests at the dedication program by Flickr user NewhouseSU) (Music credit: Pomp and Circumstance: College Graduation by The Hit Crew)
Here is my revised Tracing Persepolis project!
The revision process was a neat process for me. I am not one who particularly likes revising especially when it comes to reordering my work. However, the revision process of my Tracing Persepolis project was a good learning experience. My initial goal was to make a very circular project, which had a lot of general information at the beginning of each page. For the revision, I reversed the order in which the argument was presented, and therefore need less general information. I believe this made the project more closely related to the prompt, and made the objective more clear. I believe my project is still very circular, and is now more easily understood. Additionally, I spent time proof reading more carefully. My project now uses the appropriate words and reads how I imagined it. Overall, the revision process did improve my project!
(image credit: “Revision” by Flickr user Justyn)
Here is my Tracing Persepolis project. In this project, I wanted to focus on the pages I traced themselves. I thought it was important to consider the context of the book and what story it was telling, but I was much more interested in the literal drawings. I decided to look as three aspect of the pages:
- The uniqueness of the page.
- The pace (or flow) of the page.
- The size of the images on the page.
My project is intended to be very circular. In order to get the full understanding of the way Satrapi used her graphic novel one must visit all three of my subpages. From each pages, the reader should be able to easily navigate to the images being discussed, as well as link between the different pages. Additionally, I used considerable explanation at the beginning of each of my subpages, even though there is not considerable relation to the book. I think this serves as a crucial balance between writing for someone who has read the book, as well as someone who might just click onto the page.
Finally, I found it challenging and yet enjoyable trying to write for an online audience. It was engaging trying to write in a way that was different from what I was used to, but it was challenging still maintaining a sense of academia (ultimately the reason why I wrote it). I hope was able to strike a reasonable balance. I tried to focus more on the message I was trying to send, and less on how I was going to be graded, in order to allow the thoughts and ideas to come to me. Now, I can revisit the idea and see if I was as successful as I thought.